Karen B. Rosenthal, Esq. is a New York City-based litigator who has practiced matrimonial law for more than 30 years. Her practice includes litigating/settling high-net-worth equitable distribution, contentious custody battles, spousal and child support, pre- and post-nuptial agreements, and separation agreements. She has been certified as an Attorney for the Child since 2005 and is consistently appointed by New York County judges and chosen by her peers to represent children in custody fights.
A graduate of the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Ms. Rosenthal is dedicated to finding innovative ways to help children and families navigate family disputes successfully. She has been appointed to leadership positions in several family law organizations, including the New York State Bar Association Family Law Section and the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC), and she has been honored by Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers, and New York magazine, among others.
She has lectured on the issues of parental alienation, Orders of Protection, shared parenting, blended families, and other topics related to children going through high-conflict divorce or separation. With a three-decade track record of resolving even the most contentious matrimonial law matters, Ms. Rosenthal’s goal is to provide skilled, compassionate representation to her clients.
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, JD 1987
- The George Washington University, BA 1982
Awards and Honors
- Appointed to the New York State Bar Association Family Law Section Blue Ribbon Commission Committee concerning (among other issues) proposed New York State legislation regarding the use and scope of forensic custody evaluations and discovery in child custody matters.
- Past President and Board Member, Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, New York Chapter (AFCC-NY)
- Board Member and Co-Chair, Nominating Committee, AFCC-NY
- Co-Chair, Child Custody Committee, New York State Bar Association Family Law Section
- Appointed to First Judicial Department Neutral Evaluation Panel
- Appointed to the New York City Bar Matrimonial Committee, 2015-2018
- Listed in New York Super Lawyers, 2015-Present
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, 2012-Present
- AV Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Named Who’s Who Professional of the Year, 2016
- New York’s New York Area “Top Lawyers”
- New York’s “Top Women Attorneys” in Metro New York
- American Institute of Family Law Attorneys - Client Satisfaction Award
- Certified as Attorney for the Child for the First Judicial Department
- Certificate, Association of the Bar of the City of New York Basic Divorce Mediation Skills Training Program
- Member, Interdisciplinary Forum on Mental Health and Family Law
- Member, Matrimonial Committee, Women’s Bar Association
- Member, New York City Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Co-Founder and Former President, Young Business & Professional Division, Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation